Homemade Guacamole

Homemade Guacamole

To celebrate Cinco De Mayo, a Mexican holiday that is celebrated worldwide, especially in North America, I was recently treated to a lovely package that included some wonderful avocados, a beautiful silver serving bowl, and all kinds of other kitchen goodies. I'm not Mexican myself, but to celebrate this package I made — what else? — homemade guacamole. Every one loves it when I make this luscious dip, and it disappears in hardly more time than it takes to set out the bowl. It's excellent served with homemade quesadillas and tortilla chips or any other little bites asking for some creamy avocado goodness. Best to double the quantity here if a number of guests are expected and it keeps well for a few days besides.

Because you can never have enough guacamole in my opinion, I'm sharing this recipe again with updated photos.


GuacamoleHomemade Guacamole
Recipe by
Cuisine: Mexican
Published on June 5, 2008

Spicy, tangy and creamy, this fresh homemade guacamole is a crowd-pleaser to be sure

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 to 3 jalapeƱos, seeded and finely chopped
  • juice from 1 lime
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • pinch of cayenne
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
  • sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Peel the avocados and remove the pits. Transfer to a medium large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and black pepper.

  • Serve cold or at room temperature.

Makes about 2 cups or 4 servings

guacamole

More dips from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen you are sure to enjoy:
Marinated Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with Olives
Black-Eyed Pea Salsa
Corn and Pinto Bean Dip
Feta and Olive Salsa

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my favorite dip Lisa, love your version as it has so much going on :)

LJ Ruth said...

Sounds great - I like to include chopped up jicama in my guacamole to give it a little crunch :)

MapMaster said...

This stuff is completely addictive ... once I get started I can't stop!

Leslie said...

I can't wait to try this.

Priya Suresh said...

My favourite anytime,love urs..

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

. I have seen several of the recipes for the contest and everything looks amazing, including your guac!!!

Katie's Vegetarian Blog said...

Looks delicious. Cannot wait to try it. Thanks!

Jen @ Shakeology said...

We're going to try this recipe very soon Lisa. My grandmother made the best guacamole EVER, but don't you know that she would never share that recipe with a soul!

P90X said...

I LOVE guacamole...I usually buy it freshly made at a health food store near me, but I might have to try and make my own with this recipe!